Ella Kanahele then bashed him in the head with a rock, and Ben slit his throat with his hunting knife. Masatake Okumiya, a Japanese officer who led many Zero squadrons and authored the book “Zero,” described the significance of the Allies’ capture of Koga’s plane as “no less serious than the Japanese defeat at Midway” and said it “did much to hasten our final defeat.”. On 28 October he shot down a Heinkel HE-111 Bomber over Humbie, near Edinburgh, claiming the first German aircraft shot down on to British soil in WW2. As for Koga’s Zero, the plane met its end in anticlimactic fashion. Now armed with the knowledge needed to best the Zero in combat, the Allies quickly formulated strategies to defeat the Japanese in the air and, just as importantly, demystified the plane’s aura of invincibility. The Niʻihau incident occurred on December 7–13, 1941, when Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service pilot Shigenori Nishikaichi (西開地 重徳, Nishikaichi Shigenori) crash-landed his Zero on the Hawaiian island of Niʻihau after participating in the attack on Pearl Harbor. Robinson had come to know that there was trouble on Niʻihau because the Niihauans had flashed signals toward Kauaʻi with kerosene lanterns and reflectors. Ben Kanahele was decorated for his part in stopping the takeover, but Ella Kanahele received no official recognition.[1]. Niʻihau had neither electricity nor telephones, but later that night, the Hawaiians heard a radio report about the Pearl Harbor attack on a battery-operated radio. Shintani unhappily departed, saying there would be trouble if the papers were not returned, that it was a matter of life and death. So formidable was the Zero that the official American strategy for pilots attacked by the Japanese fighter boiled down to this: run away. HISTORY reviews and updates its content regularly to ensure it is complete and accurate. The guard was locked in a warehouse, where Harada acquired a shotgun and the pilot's pistol that had previously been stored there. Meanwhile, Nishikaichi unsuccessfully attempted to make contact with the Japanese military using the downed aircraft's radio. Shinsato, Douglas T. and Tadanori Urabe, "For That One Day: The Memoirs of Mitsuo Fuchida, Commander of the Attack on Pearl Harbor," eXperience, inc., Kamuela, Hawaii, 2011. Print, p. 378. As quoted in Jim Rearden’s book “Cracking the Zero Mystery,” Marine Captain Kenneth Walsh described how he used information from the Zero test flights to finish the war with 17 aerial victories over Zeroes: “With [a] Zero on my tail I did a split S, and with its nose down and full throttle my Corsair picked up speed fast. Harada then turned the shotgun on himself, committing suicide. Little is known about Koga. Once he shot down two Ju-87 bombers, and when he was out of ammo, he fearlessly rammed a third. [12] She moved to the island of Kaua’i. The Niʻihauans, knowing nothing of the ban, were puzzled and very uneasy that the normally dependable Robinson had not been seen since the attack. I used that maneuver a number of times to get away from Zeros.”, Using these new air tactics over the ensuing months, the Allies won battle after battle in the Pacific, and the Zero—once the pride of the Japanese air force—was reduced to a kamikaze vehicle. His Yak-1 went into a tailspin, but Gulayev managed to land the plane. Nishikaichi realized he was being deceived. Eventually, Nishikaichi was killed by Niihauans Benehakaka "Ben" Kanahele and his wife Kealoha "Ella" Kanahele;[1] Ben Kanahele was wounded in the process, and one of Nishikaichi's supporters, Yoshio Harada, committed suicide. Humbie Heinkel: Dramatic photo reveals first Nazi plane downed over Britain THIS is the first German plane shot down over Britain during the Second World War, 75 years ago this week. [5] Kaleohano was unaware of the attack at Pearl Harbor, but knew from newspapers that the relationship between the U.S. and Japan was poor due to Japanese expansionism and the U.S. oil embargo on Japan. He was released to help search for Kaleohano, who had escaped with Nishikaichi's papers. C-47 DAKOTA SHOT DOWN BY JAPANESE AIRCRAFT AFTER JAPANESE BOMBING RAID ON BROOME HARBOUR 300,000 WORTH OF DIAMONDS MISSING ON 3 MARCH 1942 . (About five years later, a flood washed the shotgun into a wall where it was found by islanders. The Niʻihau incident occurred on December 7–13, 1941, when Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service pilot Shigenori Nishikaichi (西開地 重徳, Nishikaichi Shigenori) crash-landed his Zero on the Hawaiian island of Niʻihau after participating in the attack on Pearl Harbor.The Imperial Japanese Navy had designated Niʻihau as an uninhabited island for damaged aircraft to land and await rescue. They circled once or twice before returning to their aircraft carrier at the western end of the island chain. Koga’s plane appeared so undamaged, however, that his wingmen couldn’t bring themselves to shoot it up, fearing they might kill their friend. She was never charged with treason, nor any other crime resulting from the incident. The Japanese plane rendered the Cat's radio disabled, so the Cat could not radio ahead to Singapore to let them know what was happening.